Sunday, February 27, 2011

Daybreakers


Earth's population is up against a vicious plague that's transforming everyone into vampires and draining the world of an increasingly precious resource: blood. Edward Dalton (Ethan Hawke) and "Elvis" Cormac (Willem Dafoe) must decide what happens next. As the human race count nears zero, will vampires feast on the few men and women who remain, or could science hold the key to a less destructive solution? 
Ethan Hawke as Edward Dalton
Willem Dafoe as Elvis
Sam Neill as Charles Bromley
Claudia Karvan as Audrey Bennett

More info on imdb here.

I remember seeing this trailer at the movie theater  and thinking that I loved the original idea of a world run by vampires.  I appreciated that they thought of something other than vampires hide their existence from humans, and super strong fighters, and look really sexy all of the time.  I enjoy that formula but a change of pace is nice as well. 
So, when I saw this movie on Netflix last night I was surprised that it was already "Watch Instantly".  I happily loaded it up and watched it while I was working on a crafty project.  The look of the movie had a kind of Equilibrium feel to it with a steely color palette and lots of very well dressed people in black.  The movie sets up the plot of  "We are running out of blood and we need a blood substitute." quite nicely.  Perhaps my favorite scene of the whole movie is when Ethan Hawke's character is testing out a new drug on a vampire test subject.  They inject him with the blood, his temperature rises, he pukes, and he bloats up with huge puss bubble things.  The scientists inject him with something to make it stop and it works.  He shrinks back to normal, says he feels fine, and then proceeds to explode like a water balloon. 
The gore is fun in a B movie kind of way.  Lots of blood and guts make it fun to watch.  Even though Netflix gave this movie 4.3 stars I didn't really love this movie.  There was something about the story that just wasn't compelling.  There were several times in the movie when I would just think to myself, "I wish I liked this more".  All the elements were there.  Vampires, fight scenes, blood and guts, and a neato plot but it just didn't quite get there.  Even though it wasn't an amazing movie like I thought it was going to be I still did enjoy it and I rated it 3 stars.  Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment