Thursday, February 24, 2011

Nicholas Nickleby


A young compassionate man struggles to save his family and friends from the abusive exploitation of his cold-heartedly grasping uncle. 

Charlie Hunnam as Nicholas Nickleby
Christopher Plummer as Ralph Nickleby
Jamie Bell as Smike
Jim Broadbent as Mr. Squeers
Kevin McKidd as John Browdie

Info from imdb, check it out here 

I take a lot of chances on Netflix.  Why not?  It's the 90's.  Netflix often suggests movies and shows to me with an almost 5 star rating and I see that as a challenge from Netflix.  As if it is saying, "Here.  Try this.  I KNOW you will love it."  I have to say that most if not all of the time, it is right.  I watch and rate so many things that it knows me well.
I took a chance with the above movie, Nicholas Nickleby.  Netflix gave it a 4.3 stars for me.  I had a little time to kill while I did some jewelry making so I started it up.  Here is Netflix's plot.

Charles Dickens's beloved story The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby is the inspiration for this drama set in 1800s England. Life hands Nicholas Nickleby (Charlie Hunnam) a difficult hand when his father dies and Nicholas, his sister and his mother, now penniless, are forced to seek help from his twisted Uncle Ralph (Christopher Plummer), who only wants to tear the family apart. Nathan Lane and Jim Broadbent also star.

It sounded like it would be a sad and dark movie but it was not that simple.  The start is sad with the death of a parent and hard times to follow.  Nicholas and his family travel to London to ask their wealthy uncle for assistance.   He does so unhappily and sends Nicholas away to a school for young boys to be a teacher.  The school is run by a wretched couple. the Squeers, who treat the boys horribly.  Nicholas meets a young man by the name of Smike who he quickly befriends and then saves from a beating.  The two young men leave the school and start on their adventures together.  I will not go into much more detail but I will say that they meet and make friends, save people, invite people to be family, and more.
  All throughout the movie Nicholas stands up for what is right, remains optimistic through out tough times, and is quite like-able.  I also found the character of Smike to be a great one.  He is kind, funny, and remains a loyal friend.  
I would highly recommend this movie to most people.  Netflix thought that I would like this movie 4.3 stars worth and it was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment