Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Torchwood


2006-2009             TV-PG            Seasons 1-3

A spinoff from "Doctor Who," this wild sci-fi series recounts the exploits of the Torchwood Institute, which was initially begun by Queen Victoria as a way to investigate alien life forms and trap the Doctor if he ever returned to Earth. Now led by the mysterious Capt. Jack Harkness (John Barrowman), Torchwood leads the fight against hostile aliens with its crew of ex-policewoman Gwen, brash doctor Owen, computer expert Toshiko and aide Ianto.
More info at Netflix.

I remember seeing posters for Torchwood on the side of bus stops when I was living in Philly and thinking it looked cool and that I should check it out.  I really didn't know anything about it, or Dr. Who, but I still gave it a try.  I am super happy that I did.  As soon as I started watching I was hooked.  I had never watched Dr. Who and didn't really know it was a spin off until the end of the 1st season.  If you have watched Dr. Who it adds a bit of background info but it is not a necessity.  
Torchwood follows Gwen ( the main female role) and Captain Jack Harkness (the main male role) and thier alien catching shenanigans.  The characters are all individual and likable.  Gwen is forever optimistic and see the good in people, Jack has the highest charisma.  So high that he would have a +8 Charisma modifier in Dungeons and Dragons.  Toshiko, the tech expert, is quiet and has a hidden past that is very interesting.  Owen, the medic, is a smart ass cute guy who looks like a frog to me.  The last member of the team is Ianto Jones who is a real cutie who is the catch all guy who gets the coffee, takes phone calls, and other miscellaneous jobs.
If I lived in the Dr. Who universe I would run away with the Doctor anytime to see the space, time, and the universe.  I am not so sure I would want to join Torchwood.  They have fun times but it is a very dangerous job.  A little too dangerous for my taste.
I highly recommend this show for anyone.  Boy, girls, straight, gay, young, old, it is all good.
5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment