Monday, July 16, 2012

Bear Nation

2010    NR   1hr 17m

This intriguing documentary profiles gay men known as Bears -- often thickset and hirsute homosexual males who revel in their masculinity -- as they break stereotypes and search for love, friendship and acceptance in America and Britain. More here!

I was browsing through the movies with nothing in particular that I wanted to watch and this movie poster and title caught my eye. I saw the words "From the makers of Small Town Gay Bar" and I knew I wanted to watch it. Being a fan of Kevin Smith and his podcast, SModcast, I was familiar with his friend that he has on his show, Malcolm Ingram. Malcolm is one of his close friends and often comes on his podcast and freely talks about being a Bear and being gay. He is very funny and I really like listening to the 2 of them talk. They are just the funniest. Malcolm has directed 3 movies. The last 2 pertaining to being gay.

I watched Small Town Gay Bar quite some time ago here on Netflix and it was great. (I really recommend you give it a watch) I really enjoy movies where I can learn something about another lifestyle or learn about other people. Bear Nation taught me a bit about the Bear community withing the gay community. All the interviews were interesting and heartfelt. Just like any group of people that have an interest, quality, or aspect that make them different there is something to be learned. Just like any other niche there are many details, rules, and dynamics. There are Bears, large hairy gay men. And there are people who are attracted to these men and their type in particular. It sounds so cut and dry but there is much more to it. There are different types of bears and differing opinions.

The movies shows you different Bears in their home towns and also at conventions. I think conventions are the best things ever for being around like minded people who enjoy what you do and spending time together. It was great seeing the hotels that they were staying at just bursting with large hairy guys. Not only are they able to attend cons but there is a thriving presence on line. It is nice to have a place that you can go on line even if you don't have any close or local people that you can meet with. 

I don't want to give too much away so I won't say anymore so you can really enjoy the movie. it is really short so it is an easy watch and they keep it pretty light hearted. Netflix gave it 3.2 stars and I give it 4 big, hairy, gay men.

No comments:

Post a Comment