Monday, July 16, 2012

I Shouldn't Be Alive

2010     TVPG    2 Seasons (3 & 4)

From the harsh Australian Outback to shark-infested seas, real stories of near-death experiences, bravery, endurance and pure miracles are recounted with interviews and reenactments in this documentary series about survival against all odds. From Netflix!

This show came as a recommendation to me from my sister in law who I am pretty sure watches as much Netflix as I do. I think between the two of us we will watch everything on there by this Wednesday. We were talking about something on Netflix and she told me about this show that had an episode where a woman who falls and breaks her pelvis while running in a canyon. She is stranded for days while her dog stays by her side. My sister in law got all teary eyed just telling me about it and I cried a little bit watching it. I am not afraid to admit that I cried, I cry a lot. Boom.

Each episode tells the story and does recreations. The recreations are pretty good too. Sometimes they are a little cheesy or bad looking but this show does okay. There are stories about getting stuck at ocean, in the woods, in blizzards, on rivers, and everything in between. They cover it all. It is one of those shows where while you are watching it you are just thinking about what you would do in the same situation. I am pretty sure I would have died in most of them. Especially in the ones where people get lost at sea. I am pretty scared of the ocean and almost everything in it. Not sharks so much but, everything else. Fish, parasites, jelly fish, and so much more. Also, I burn easily.

I am going to talk a bit about me and not so much about Netflix for a little bit. People make fun of me because I carry a large and somewhat heavy bag at all times. I like having certain items with me when I go out. Somethings are the obvious items you would expect to find in a girls purse; wallet, keys, chap stick, and tampons. I also like to have some items to entertain me; book, mp3 players/ear buds, phone, Kindle Fire, and my moleskin sketch pad. Now, the next items are the thing that would keep me alive or at least give me better chances of living in these terrible situations. Swiss Army knife, little flashlight, mirror, bottle of water, gum and candy, tissues, paper and pen, little scissors, tweezers, and a lighter. 
That is just what I carry with me on an average day. If I were to ever go on a hike or anywhere I would prepare to the extreme. I find with this show people are in trouble because of a few things. One, they don't bring a cell phone with them. Two, they don't bring any or enough supplies. Not this girl.

So, watch an episode or two and think about what you would do if you were stuck in a blizzard or swept out to sea on a tiny rowboat. Netflix gave it 4 stars and I also give it 4 large bags filled with life saving items.

No comments:

Post a Comment