Monday, May 21, 2012

A Clockwork Orange

1971          R           2hr 16m

In this Stanley Kubrick classic based on Anthony Burgess's novel, teenage miscreant Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell) wanders aimlessly amid a bleak, futuristic urban landscape, drinking drugged milk and listening to Beethoven with his fellow "droogs." But he also spends his time stealing, raping and beating innocent people in nihilistic orgies of violence, all in an attempt to get his nightly kicks.
Info from Netflix! 

I feel like I should have watched this years ago just because it is a classic movie. I did the same thing with The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I just saw it last year. I kind of feel the same way about both movies. Visually, it is lovely. Everything else, meh. I feel like there is something wrong with me because I am not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I by no means am a movie snob or pretend to be one. I don't pick apart movies and try to find hidden meanings and what not so I tend to not really enjoy movies that need that. 
I loved the look of the movie and I loved the sound. The cadence of people talking and the way they spoke with each other was fun and interesting. The color, sets, and costumes were great. I think the thing that didn't really catch me was the story for the 2nd half of the movie. I enjoyed the first half following Alex around from the street to the jail and then back out again. Once he stumbles back to HOME is where it kind of loses me. 
All in all I am happy that I finally watched it but I am not sure if I will watch it again any time soon. Perhaps this is one of those movies where I don't like it at first but then I see it again down the road and I love it. It has happened and it will happen again. Netflix gave this 3.7 Stars and I give it 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment