Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

2011          1hr 39m           R

Soon after moving in with her father and his new girlfriend, young Sally discovers she isn't alone in the house: strange creatures live there -- and they might not be as friendly as Sally thinks. Guillermo del Toro co-writes this horror film. Info from Netflix!

This was another random movie that just watched because I like the cover of the movie. Within 30 seconds I knew this movie was directed by Guillermo del Toro. I didn't see his name on the cover because I was not paying too much attention. But, his style of direction is so recognizable. It is just so him. I saw Pan's Labyrinth when it came out and I just loved it. It was dark but whimsical. Kind of like Tim Burton but I like del Toro's style much more. Pan's Labyrinth made me a fan of him. I watched The Orphanage and just kind of liked it. I wanted to like it more but just couldn't. Anywhoo...
If I had seen this movie when I was a little girl I would have loved it beyond belief. I have a soft spot for movies where people move into a new house and there is something going on and they uncover it through exploration and luck. I think I like it because I want to move into a big house and have a mystery surrounding it. Nothing terrible, just something unknown. Secret rooms and passageways, skeleton keys, and attics with dusty old treasures.
Del Toro has a knack at making scary and interesting monsters and the ones in this movie are perfect. The drawings of the monsters are even scarier than the monsters themselves. I kind of wish they had shown the drawings before the monsters. It would have made them even creepier. Even though the little monsters are super scary I didn't think about them that evening when I went to bed. I have a habit of thinking about scary things when I go to bed. I don't get scared like a little kid and then can't sleep but I do get nervous. Not with this movie though, I think it just didn't pop into my mind while falling asleep. Paranormal Activity though, that is a different story. 
The ending was good, I kind of wish it had ended a bit differently though. As a child I would see it differently but now that I am older I see it from a different point of view. I tend to put myself into the roles when I watch movies. This is why I cry a lot when I watch movies and shows, and even when I read books.
Netflix game this movie 3.4 Stars and I give it 5 Scary Monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment